For some reason I was extra shy of the camera today, but I tried to make a video anyways. This time around, I list five things that you rarely read talked about in novels while characters are in forests; especially in the fantasy genre.
I won’t describe it here as in depth as I did in the video, but here is the brief explanation:
- Hunting is Not Always Successful. Especially if your character is on the run. In a survival situation, majority of your diet will be plant-life.
- Altitude Sickness Can Happen. If you are not used to climbing mountains, you can get altitude sickness.
- Altitude Effects Fires. Fire needs oxygen, and oxygen is thinner on higher altitudes. This makes them harder to light.
- Sleeping Under the Stars Can Suck. Its a romatic thought, but can lead to you being miserable. Instead, look up shelters like lean-to’s, A-frames, and snow shelters for your characters.
- Water is Not Always Safe to Drink. Just because you find water, does not mean it is safe to drink. In a real-life survival situation, you will want to filter the water and boil it before drinking.
I really hope that helps! If it does, and you want to see more content like this, please let me know and I will make another video with more points to help you out.