It is not always easy to keep track of your own novel on the internet, or even to find topics to talk about. For these issues, Google Alerts is your best friend.
If you do not already know, Google Alerts is a way to track news and more. People use it to keep up-to-date on interests, but it is also a really valuable tool for writers. Here are just three ways you might use it as an author.
- Alerting about Your Book News. Let’s say you put your book title in the alert. Now, say a blog writes a review about your book, well now you can get an alert about the review without ever knowing about the blog before that point, and share or respond to the review quickly.
- Finding Content to Share. As an author, to build a following you want to have a regular presence online, but it is not always easy to find content worth sharing or talking about. Well, that is where google alerts comes to the rescue again. Also, if you are writing about that Victorian times book, you could use these alerts to find and share new interesting facts about the era that your fans might like.
- Research. Authors can use Google Alerts to keep up to date about topics in your book. For example, let’s say you are writing a historical fiction set in Victorian times, well, with the “Victorian history” alert, you can keep learning about the period you are writing in without having to search for it.
To get started, Sign into google account, go to google.ca/alerts. Once you are there, you will see this page.
Once you have that page, that bar is where you type any information you want to follow. However, there are some quick tips you might want to know.
- Let’s say you are writing about a certain location you live nowhere by but your novel somehow needs current information about said area. Well, you can actually add locations right down to the postal code.
- If you are just being vague about what you want, add words as normal and google will use those words as keywords. However, if you want to be specific, put it in quotations. For example, if I wanted to search for my novel, I could put it like this “The Purest Blood” or like this “The Purest Blood” Novel Review.
Once you have all the alerts you need, you can fine-tune them by clicking the little pencil.
And these drop downs appear
So that you can adjust how often you want e-mails, news sources, languages, and more. Once you have all that set up, you should get alerts into your inbox.
And that’s it!
Please let me know if you all want to know more marketing tips.